My friend Tim Schmoyer just blogged about “Why Parents Outsource Their Teen’s Spiritual Formation.”
Here’s what I think:
- I’m convinced that for many parents, those in the church anyway, they want to teach their children.
- These same parents, don’t know how to teach their children.
- The reason that they don’t know how is because the church has not taken seriously it’s responsibility to equip them.
- Because the church has neglected this role, parents need someone to teach spiritual formation for them.
- So, the church, in an effort to meet this need, does an end-run around the parent and hires an expert.
- This expert, then, enables both the parent, and the church, to perpetuate the problem.
In short…parents outsource their teen’s spiritual formation because we not only allow them to, but because we provide the system the justifies it.