I love the the note in the NIV between Mark 16:8 & 9:
(The earliest manuscripts and some other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20.)
Some have translated this to mean, “None of this crap is true, and since we believe Matthew and John were based on Mark, they’re not true either. Jesus really wasn’t bodily resurrected, but only in Spirit.”
What are the ramifications of this false gospel (no bodily resurrection)?
- Death keeps it’s hold on God (unless of course, Jesus is not God), which makes Peter a liar, so go ahead and throw out 1 and 2 Peter and his whole sermon in Acts 2 and while you’re there, those conversions that day are also meaningless since it is on the resurrection that his whole message hinged. (Acts 2:24)
- There is no righteousness credited to us, He was not delivered from death for our sins and was not raised to life for our justification. (Romans 4:24-25)
- We cannot have new life. (Romans 6:4)
- There is no risen Lord to live within us, there is no life in our mortal bodies, and no life through the spirit. (Romans 8:11)
- God is a liar and there is no salvation. (Romans 10:9)
- We’ve believed the gospel in vain, (1 Cor 15:2)
- Paul is a liar, as are the 500 who claimed to “witness” Him. (1 Cor 15)
- Preaching is worthless as is faith. (1 Cor 15:14)
- We would be false witnesses (and worth of death in the OT as false prophets). (1 Cor 15:15)
- All who believed in him are lost. (1 Cor 15:18)
- We are the biggest group of dupes in history. (1 Cor 15:19)
In short…if this is not true, mankind is indeed un-saveable.
Smoke ’em if you got ’em.
Eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.
Sound good to anyone?